4.02.2009

Why couldn’t we drive it out?

My wife and I are big fans of the TV show Lost. We have watched it since the first episode back in 2004. The show relies on an easy formula for success: Every episode leaves you with more questions than answers. After each episode, my wife and I try to figure out what is really going on, connect the dots, and answer the questions. We call friends because it is good to get another perspective, opinion, or theory. This word is too strong, but the show is addicting ☺

As I read Mark 9 this morning, I was left with a similar feeling. It is full of fascinating stories about the Transfiguration of Jesus, miracles, driving out demons/or failing to drive out demons. After reading this chapter, I have more questions than answers!

So here is a confusing story:
Vs. 14-29 Jesus’ disciples are not able to heal the boy who is possessed by an evil spirit. It is interesting because in Mk 6:7 Jesus gives his disciples authority over evil spirits, and in 6:13 they drive out many demons. So why can’t they do it in this story?
Jesus replies, “This kind can come out only by prayer.”
What do you think this means? What is the importance of our prayer life?
Then in 8:38 the disciples saw someone driving out demons in the name of Jesus, but he was not one of them.... What?

Vs. 32 really jumped out at me, “The disciples did not understand what Jesus meant and were afraid to ask him about it.”

What questions or answers do you have for these stories in Mark 9? I pray that you will not be afraid to ask, and I pray that you would become addicted to the wonderful stories of scripture, and understand that sometimes, we need to call friends to get another perspective, opinion, or theory ☺

Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. I love Jesus' passion for children expressed in v. 36-37, 42.

    ReplyDelete