4.06.2009

God in a box

Forgive me as I am going to work backwards through Mark 11 today.  Verse 24 jumped out to me today. I often pray within the limits of my humanness. I believe but I keep God in a box. For example, I pray that our van will continue to run or that some day we can afford a new one, but I never pray for God to just bring us a better vehicle. Why not? Because that's too big for God? Because I shouldn't exhibit such faith? Because it's out of the ordinary and I keep God in a box. But I sometimes wrestle with the notion in this verse that if I ask it I will get it; I love how The Message phrases this verse: "That's why I urge you to pray for absolutely everything, ranging from small to large. Include everything as you embrace this God-life, and you'll get God's everything."  I should pray for everything on my heart AND (I love this emphasis) I will get God's everything. In other words, anything God gives me is great because it's from him.  

OK, now it's time for a little Bible history. I give credit to Beth Moore--I just love how she links the Old and New Testaments together for us! As we studied the Psalms of Ascents last Fall, we learned about the Three Feasts. The last of the Feasts, I believe, was celebrated at the end of the harvest season: The Feast of the Tabernacle. You can read about it in Leviticus 23:33-44, but verse 40 is of particular interest today.

On the first day you are to take choice fruit from the trees, and palm fronds, leafy branches and poplars, and rejoice before the Lord your God for seven days.

We know that this is exactly what occurred on Palm Sunday, the day Jesus entered Jerusalem.  Let me try to tie this together simply.  During the Feast of the Tabernacle, they would celebrate the coming Messiah.  They would shout "Hosanna" which means "Send Messiah" or "Save Now".  So, when Jesus entered Jerusalem that day, for those who believed, it sent them straight into the Feast of the Tabernacle.  When they cried "Hosanna", they were acknowledging and proclaiming that Jesus was the Messiah.  

Palm Sunday was yesterday.  Did you shout "Hosanna"--did you cry out, proclaiming that Jesus was the Messiah, your Savior & redeemer.  As we lead up to the Easter celebration, I'm thinking I need to keep a certain heartattitude.  So, I believe I will start every morning this week with a "Hosanna!"
 

1 comment:

  1. I agree, Lori. I heard someone say one time that we hear Jesus say over and over that we can pray for anything but, do we take Him up on it like He means it? Is that a part of our daily life? When I go to take Him up on that I find it interesting what I end up praying about.

    ReplyDelete