2.27.2009

Believe and confess

Good morning my fellow Romans readers!  We are more than half way through Romans; do you have a new found appreciation for Paul's intellect and God's grace?

I want to focus on verses 9-13 today.  Wow, this is a powerful passage!  The first thing I noticed is that Paul is quoting scripture in verse 11 & 13.  Where are these from?  Verse 11 comes from Isaiah 28:16 and verse 13 is from Joel  2:32.  I encourage you go to read those verses in context and see how they relate.

This passage sort of sums up the road to salvation: believe and confess.  Yes, it's that simple.  All the lessons learned over the last 2 weeks about the Law and sin and putting our trust and faith in God and important, but I love this reminder that to gain that freedom in Christ is really quite a simple act.  Now, for some, getting to that point is a long hard road with many battles as they try to hang on to their old selves, to the supposed freedom with which sin deceives.  But, when we come to that moment when we are ready to freely give ourselves to Christ, there's not a long list of requirements--believe with your heart, confess with your mouth.

I was so blessed to grow up in a home, a family, where God was the center and, thankfully, my path to salvation was fairly free of obstacles and road blocks.  I gave my heart to Christ in 5th grade.  Later, I struggled with the validity of my salvation--there was no big moment or change in my life, so was it real?  Then a very dear friend of mine pointed out that I should be thankful that I didn't have to go down a difficult path in order to find a need for Christ, He was just always there and it was very easy for me to believe.  I rededicated myself to Him in college when I realized what a blessing my path to salvation really was.   I would love it if you would share a little of your story today!



p.s.  is everyone else asking the same question I am:  Where's Grant?

2 comments:

  1. -I rededicated myself to Him in college when I realized what a blessing my path to salvation really was.-

    I think this is the prayer and hope of all parents- that a early God centered life will guild and direct through the obstacles later on.

    "As for me, this is my covenant with them," says the LORD. "My Spirit, who is on you, and my words that I have put in your mouth will not depart from your mouth, or from the mouths of your children, or from the mouths of their descendants from this time on and forever," says the LORD. Isaiah 59:21

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's precious, Tex.

    A mother's heart heard that one.

    I was about 5 when my mom shared the gospel with my sister and me. She prayed with us a prayer to confess Jesus as our Lord.

    ReplyDelete