3.19.2009

You want something... but don’t get it.

James starts chapter 4 with this question and answer,
“What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don’t they come from YOUR DESIRES that battle within you? You want something but you don’t get it…”

You want something… but you don’t get it….
This little phrase really slapped me in the face as I read ☺ and it is so true.
How do I act when I want something, and I don’t get it?

This passage makes more sense when we look at the end of chapter 3. James writes about two kinds of wisdom: heavenly and earthly. Both are identifiable by the fruit they produce. Wisdom from heaven is pure, peace loving, considerate, full of mercy. Earthly wisdom is full of disorder, selfish ambition, bitterness, and envy.

I don’t want to brag, but looking at that list I am full of “heavenly” wisdom…
At least, when it is easy to be.
Yet when I really, really want something, and then I do not get it... envy, bitterness, disorder, manipulation, quarrels etc.…

As we read James 3 and 4 we must ask ourselves these questions: How do I treat others when I do not get what I want? Do I connive, manipulate, or enforce my will?
Do I seek God’s will, and heavenly wisdom? Do I pray with the right motives? Do I remain humble and submit myself to God?
Because I am usually wise, until I want something and don’t get it.

1 comment:

  1. Well said, Jared. I guess that's where the art of learning to be content comes in. Also, faith that the Lord will provide what's best and bring Him glory. It's all rally nice to talk about but, I don't really want to be tested on this one.

    ReplyDelete